- Why do I drive on the Interstate at 80 mph while I look at Facebook on my phone?
- Why do I ignore the misbehavior of my child and then expect her to do better?
- Why do I gripe and complain throughout the day and then wonder why I feel so lousy?
- Why do I not take care of my car and then wonder why it is now falling apart?
- Why do ignore my health and then wonder why it is now catching up with me?
Have you ever asked yourself these questions? Have you ever looked at a behavior, a habit, or a way of life and asked, “Why on earth do I keep doing this?” Sometimes we do things that don’t make sense. In fact, particular behaviors can be unwise and even foolish.
Recently as the New Year was approaching, I began to ask myself various questions about the way I used my time. I looked at the way I used my time in light of what I need to get done. What do I need to do in terms of my work and my ministry? I looked at my calendar in light of the kind of person I want to be. I looked weeks of appointments, commitments, habits, and general time use. What does this say about me? If I continue to use time like I did in 2018, what kind of person will I be at the end of the year, 2019?
I pray about this and believe that small changes, even baby steps, can be powerful! I am looking for the next-right-step in the various arenas of my life. Perhaps you would find this helpful. It has certainly been helpful to me.