This afternoon I had lunch with a very good friend. He asked how my morning was. I told him that it was "ok." I told him that I had been sick for a couple of days and that I was just "here" today. He replied that when you are sick, it has a way of impacting your whole perspective. He’s right.
For some reason, when I’m not feeling well, the clouds seem a little grayer and the air is a little colder. I seem to notice almost everything that doesn’t go just right. Things that I would normally just let pass by, I let impact me–usually negatively.
This is one of those days when I just need to be reminded that I really do have a lot to be thankful for. If I don’t, I will probably choose to dwell on the negative. Not good!
1. I am thankful for the passage of Scripture that I read this morning from II Kings, reminding me that God is in complete control.
2. I am thankful for my friend who called me and asked me to meet him for lunch. It is a blessing to have friends.
3. I am thankful for the people who I work with each day. What a blessing it is to go to work and enjoy the people who I work with.
4. I am thankful for the conversation that I had mid-morning with Kenneth, the gentleman who helps to clean our building. Such a pleasant person and nice to talk about the Cowboys for a few minutes.
5. I am thankful for the class that I will be teaching tonight. I enjoy that class and receive more encouragement than I give.
6. I am thankful for the coffee and conversation that I had with a new minister in town who I met with at the coffee place this afternoon. What a nice guy!
7. I am especially thankful for my daughters and for my wife. I am very blessed.
Now it could be that if you were making this list that you would have a few things that are not on mine. Maybe I overlooked the obvious. Nevertheless, making this list is the beginning of my attempt to not get down, negative, and moody today.