Yesterday, I heard Tom Long speak for several hours at Truett Seminary (Baylor University). He spoke on "Preaching the Gospel of Mark." I have heard him speak on several different occasions and always come away with such an appreciation for his passion and his storytelling. Yesterday, as I was listening to Long speak, I thought about how God uses Scripture to shape a church and to shape our lives individually.
God, through the dynamic of the Holy Spirit dwelling within us, is working to form and shape us into a certain kind of people. Like the ever-present construction on some highways, God is forever shaping and forming us to become like Christ.
- Are you married? God desires to shape and form you into a Christlike person.
- Are you a parent? God wishes to use your work as a parent to shape you into a Christlike man or woman.
- Are you single? God wants to use your singleness as an avenue to Christlikeness.
- Are you having financial struggles? God desires to form you into the image of Christ through such a struggle.
- Are you having health problems? Living with chronic pain? God desires to see you mature in Christ through such pain.
God’s construction is never-ending. Yet, you are not a do-it-yourself project. God is present and active through his Holy Spirit, the living dynamic for such construction.
Now this is very encouraging to me. What a geat adventure! Who knows how God will shape and form me this day or this week. Who knows how God will shape me through the various situations of my life.