Pay Attention to Ordinary Moments of Life that in Some Way Point You to God
What points you to God? Prayer and Scripture for sure. In prayer we confess our complete dependence on God. In Scripture, God instructs, teaches, and reminds us of the story that gives us shape and identity.
What about the ordinary moments of life?
- Maybe I walk through the grocery store and am reminded of the God who provides water, sunlight, and the soil so that this food could grow.
- Perhaps I see a child and am reminded that the Father knows this child intimately. He even knows the number of hairs on her head.
- Maybe I get a call from a family member and am reminded of how blessed I am to have this person in my life.
- Suppose it begins to rain and I am reminded of the God who sustains the earth.
- Perhaps someone smiles at me today and I am reminded that each precious moment is a gift.
You probably have better examples. I am simply suggesting that we consider beginning our day with the intention of allowing these ordinary moments to point us toward God. Much of this comes down to what is on our hearts as we go through our day.
Let us remember that the life which we ought to be interested is "daily" life. We can, each of us, only call the present time our own…. Our Lord tells us to pray for today, and so he prevents us from tormenting ourselves about tomorrow. It is as if (God) were to say to us: "(It is I) who gives you this day (and) will also give you what you need for this day. (It is I) who makes the sun to rise. (It is I) who scatters the darkness of night and reveals to you the rays of the sun."