There are certain people I love to be around. These people have a way of adding energy and value to most any situation. I like to be around these kinds of people:
- People who desire to encourage others. They have a way of making every one around them feel good.
- People who generally look for the good in others.
- People who seem to go out of their way to not embarrass others.
- People who seem to take the high road (the way of Jesus) in their manner.
- People who are secure and don’t always have to be noticed.
- People who are just as courteous to the weak and the unlovely as the are to those who seem to be strong and beautiful.
- People who are safe. They wouldn’t think of deliberately hurting another person.
- People who are genuine–even when no one is looking.
- People who notice those others generally ignore.
- People who seem grateful for what others often take for granted.
On the other hand, there are some people I do not enjoy being around. They have a way of diminishing the joy of most any situation. I don’t particularly enjoy being around these people:
- People who only seem comfortable when the attention is focused on themselves.
- People who are too insecure to give others credit.
- People who constantly talk about their “toys.”
- People who put others down through their humor and then in laughter say, “I was only kidding” (refusing to take responsibility for what they just said).
- People who act as if another’s victories are insignificant.
- People who run others down in their absence and yet act chummy with them when they are present.
- People who are so “prickly” and moody that one must be extremely careful not to say the wrong thing around them.
- People who almost seem eager to throw a bucket of cold water on someone else’s hard work and creativity.
- People who find a way to be critical about most anything.
- People who constantly harp on the negative.
Jesus must have been such an enjoyable person to be with. He had a way of making people around him feel comfortable. No one was ever repelled by Jesus because of his attitude or manner. If they were put off by Jesus it was because they rejected his teaching. I have a feeling that if you had grown up with Jesus, he would have been just the kind of guy you would want as a friend.
What kind of people do you especially enjoy being around? What kind of people do you not enjoy being around?