Every July, I spend several weeks thinking about the upcoming year. I then plan and prepare some messages and sermons for the next 6 to 12 months.
I am making a list of pressing concerns that many people deal with today. While these concerns are not necessarily new, they are very real. This list comes from talking with many people as well as observing others.
What is missing from the following list? What do I need to add to this list?
Pressing concerns in the lives of many people:
1. Worry and anxiety related to personal finances. Job loss. Transfer. Uncertainty about the economic future.
2. Concerns related to raising children in this culture. Of particular concern for many families is the violence as well as the mainstreaming of pornographic pictures and behaviors.
3. Questions about faith. Questions about God and the church. What is necessary?
4. A sense that I may not be able to make it. Some think they will never be able to have the kind of career their parents or grandparents had.
5. Hurt and betrayal. Some people have been deeply hurt by a spouse who lied, betrayed, and then walked away.
6. How am I to respond to the suffering in this world? Tornados. Political oppression. Sex trafficking. War. Whether we think about war in Sudan or this weeks tornados in Joplin, Missouri, many people wonder what they are supposed to think about such events.
7. Purpose and mission in life. What am I supposed to be doing with my life?
What is missing from this list? What concern needs to be added to this list? Please leave a comment below.