My youngest daughter, Jamie, sent me this quote today. I have read it several times and thought you might enjoy this:
“This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will, I can waste it, or use it for some good purpose. But what I do with it is important, Because I have exchanged a day in my life for it! When tomorrow comes, today will be gone forever. I hope I will not regret the price I paid for it.”
So how can we make the most of a day?
1. Invest in things that matter. Are you a student? Study! Do you have a job? Do something productive. Are you a writer? Write a sentence, a paragraph, or a page. Yet be sure to invest in something greater than yourself. Invest your life in the things of God. After all, you were created for a great purpose — to live for the glory or honor of God.
2. Communicate love, care, respect, and encouragement to the people in your life who mean the most to you. Why use a day to be rude, insulting, or critical? Is there someone who you need to re-connect with? A family member? A distant relative? An old friend? A phone call, a card, an e-mail can be very, very significant.
3. Place in your mind thoughts that are uplifting, inspiring, and godly. Think about God and all that he is. Read something that challenges you to think. Have conversations with people who cause you to think. Instead of focusing on the negative, think about all that is around you that is good and right.
4. Do something for your own renewal. Read your Bible. Walk. Go outside. Throw a ball. Read a book. Go for a drive in the country. Play with children. Go outside and look at the moon and the stars. Pay attention to what is growing and alive. Do something that will renew and refresh.
5. Serve someone. Do something for someone else. Pay attention to the opportunities that may be right in front of you. You don’t have to go to an impoverished country in order to serve (though that is certainly a good thing). Look for opportunities that God places before you everyday.
What helps you keep your focus or perspective during the day? How do you make the most of your day?