This blog “A Place for the God-Hungry” is where I share thoughts about life, ministry, marriage, parenting, leadership and ministry. I have been writing this blog since 2004. More than anything, I want this to be an encouraging place.
I serve as Vice President of Harding School of Theology (January 2014) in Memphis, Tennessee.
I was raised in Dallas, Texas. I graduated from the University of North Texas with a degree in Business Management. Later, I studied at Heritage Christian University (Formerly International Bible College) for two years, Abilene Christian University (M.Div.), and Harding School of Theology (D.Min.).
For 36 years, I preached primarily for three congregations: College Church of Christ, Florence, Alabama (1982-1990); Gladstone Church of Christ, Kansas City, Missouri (1990-1993); and Crestview Church of Christ, Waco, Texas (1993-2013).
I am a Mentoring Partner for Hope Network Ministries and regularly lead mentoring groups.
Charlotte and I have two daughters and a son-in-law. Christine and her two boys, Brody and Lincoln live in Memphis. Cal and Jamie (and their baby due in December) live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
What I like
- Great coffee
- Working out at the gym
- Cinnamon scones (or most anything else with cinnamon)
- Cooking on my smoker or grill
- Reading online newspapers each morning
- Playing with Brody and Lincoln
- Eating Mexican (Tex-Mex) or Italian food
- Eating warm chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin cookies
- Eating Biscoff cookies with coffee
- Being near the ocean
- Eating excellent pork or beef barbecue
- Watching the Dallas Cowboys and the Baylor Bears
- Exploring new towns and communities
- Riding my bike
- Reading the Saturday edition of the Wall Street Journal
- Keeping up with football news and standings (both NFL and College) during the season
- Going to favorite places such as Fairhope, Alabama
- Enjoying certain bookstores such as Square Books (Oxford, Mississippi) and Page and Palatte Bookstore (Fairhope, Alabama)
- Traveling with Charlotte
- Enjoying cold thick banana pudding
- Reading in a great coffee shop
- Being with our daughters and son-in-law
- Getting an unexpected phone call from a friend who just wants to “catch up.”
- Having the opportunity to ask a number of questions of someone whom I have admired for a long time